• The 4 Epochs of Independent Chaos Magic

by  •  • History, Reviews • 30 Comments

We like books.

If someone asks us to recommend a book then we most certainly will. And some of us have recently been asked to do just that.

Having given this some thought, I’m going to attempt something a little less helpful: A history of chaos magic through a century of seminal texts.

There are two main problems with trying to shape a history of something -especially if you try to shape it based around a list of books or thoughts.

• In order to do so, you have to rely on inductive logic. Basically, this is stringing together a sequence of events after they have happened. You run the risk of assuming they are in any way related to each other. Unfortunately the human brain is wired to do exactly this. It’s why history is so interesting and always wrong.
    • It’s the books that aren’t on your bookshelf that are the most important -not the ones that are. It’s the ideas you don’t have that paint a fuller picture. Trying to assess which are the most important books in chaos magic (or anything) means you will always fall victim to survivor bias: You’re only going to be able to make that assessment based on the titles that have actually made it to your bookshelf. It’s an inefficient sample. Unavoidably inefficient.

Be this as it may, I’m going to give it a shot. However, I really must stress that I am fully aware of the above two shortcomings and I wish to highlight the use of the word ‘independent’ in the title of this post. I’m not going to talk about various orders or historic personalities. I’m going to talk about books. Or rather; authors.

Sidebar: Most of this is not exclusively the story of chaos magic but rather a broad story of western occultism over the last hundred and thirty years. But you may note that it looks slightly different if you place your ‘year zero’ in the 1970s.

I feel this has wider implications for any historic narrative.

The epochs

1. The Prehistoric (Themes: Exploration, new territory)

Anytime before 1970. Aleister Crowley, Austin Osman Spare, Michel Foucault and Robert Anton Wilson. (Yes, Cosmic Trigger was written in the seventies but it was about things that happened before.)

Note the absence of Lovecraft? It’s deliberate. That lazy, racist shut-in contributed nothing to chaos magic. Nothing. A 1970s games system based loosely on a few of his fictional creations had a large impact. He didn’t. He’s off the list.

2. The Classical (Themes: Rebellion, emancipation)

From the 1970s to the 1990s. Peter J Carroll, Ramsay Dukes, Hakim Bay, Dave Lee, Chris Hyatt. (Undoing Yourself only in this case. Though I like most of his early stuff.)

Other than DuQuette, I’m reaching to find a magical personality over the last century that best suits the classical vision of a ‘wizard’ than PJC.

He’s a bit mad, he’s an undisputed genius, he appears and disappears from the world, has crazy adventures and he lives in the West Country. I adore him. Liber Kaos and Liber Null & Psychonaut are a bit dated now (but they were written more than thirty years ago). However, they are definitely chaos magic’s ‘Old Testament’.

3. The Modern (Themes: Attention-seeking, pop-cultural nihilism, fragmentation)

1990s – 2000. Phil Hine, Jan Fries and Grant Morrison. This was the era of musical cut-ups (horrible) and the exciting cyber world of dial-up internet. Too much of chaos magic is caught in this awful time-loop where The Matrix has just been released in cinemas and revolutions must always involve some really lame public graffiti.

These three writers are still very much worth your time, though. Don’t blame them for what their fans do.

4. The Postmodern (Themes: return to First Principles, integration versus disintegration, learning from the new rather than seeking it)

I guess this brings us up to right now. What interests me about popular/populist science at the moment is that it is painting a picture of a chaotic universe that is easy to live in. Which is why I am including them all as a single ‘author’ but with special shout outs to The Drunkard’s Walk, The Medea Hypothesis, Freakonomics/Superfreakonomics and anything by Malcolm Gladwell. I also want to add a personal recommendation in the form of my beloved Black Swan.

And then I’m going to use PJC’s latest book, The Apophenion, as the segue into proper magic because it straddles both. (Yes, he’s on the list twice. Because he is awesome like Chuck Norris.)

I wasn’t quite sure where to put Dave Lee’s Chaotopia! so I’m going to put it in this epoch because it was re-released with additional material in 2006. It also works really well with any of the probability books I am suggesting such as Outliers and The Drunkard’s Walk.

On the purely magic side, the best books in the Postmodern Epoch are Advanced Magic For Beginners (Alan Chapman) and Strategic Sorcery (Jason Miller). Sorry about that, Jason, I know you asked where you should be looking for good, current chaos magic thinking. Unfortunately I’m suggesting a mirror.

Neither of these titles are technically chaos magic, but then neither are the sociological or the scientific. If you are looking for a more detailed rundown of chaos magic history and publications then I’m going to throw you over to Psyche. She did a much better job than I ever could and she did it more than six months ago.

The judges criteria

Why are there so few actual chaos magicians on this list? Well, as previously mentioned, there really isn’t that much to chaos magic. You get bigger variations when you include wider source material.

Based on the above bookshelf observation, the real question you should be asking is why are there so many books devoted to other magical disciplines? The overwhelming majority of magic books are too narrow and endlessly repetitive. You know what’s going to be in a witchcraft book before you even open it. See if this sounds familiar:

1. Bit of wrong-ish history. At least one picture of the Willendorf Venus. Maybe some Ogham diagrams.
    2. A chapter on deities. Blah blah the moon, blah blah horns. Some of the famous ones get their own paragraph. (One paragraph. For. A. God.)
    3. At least a third of the book taken up explaining the same festivals and sabbats as everyone else. Nothing new there.
    4. Finally some actual magic. Except it’s just a couple of pages of colour correspondence, a list of herbs that don’t grow anywhere near you and some overly optimistic but mostly useless ‘spells’. The chapter ends with a small section implying that you should maybe go and get some Tarot cards.
    5. Optional final chapter: How to start a coven. Because clearly, having read the previous four sections you are definitely at the stage where you should do that.

I must have bought about twenty of the exact same book back in the day. (Yes, I’m a slow learner.) Hence my attitude to new magical publications is usually one of suspicion. Because I am sick of buying the same book over and over.

How you can play along at home

This post has put me in mind of an experiment I played with a fellow occultist in New Zealand a few years back.

Well, I say it was an experiment but it was really more of a drunken argument after a boozy, ten hour lunch.

The Book Game

How would you introduce someone to magic using only books? He or she has a month in a lake house and will read whatever you tell them in the exact order that you tell them to. Not even any peeking at other books on the list.

The Rules

1. Fiction is allowed.
    2. You have to specify what brand of magician you want to build beforehand. (Hermeticist, chaos, etc.)
    3. You can’t tell the subject this.
    4. You must include books from at least three disciplines. (This is to stop you just giving the Complete Golden Dawn and then declaring the subject a GD-style magician at the end.)
    5. It’s only books. No guru teaching, no magical training. Just books. (It’s a book game.) Presume they will do the exact same amount of exercises out of the books that you did.
    6. The subject goes into the house without any belief in magic. They are a smug, modern agnostic.
    7. A maximum of ten titles. Trilogies count as three books.

Now, I don’t want anyone saying that you can’t build a magician just by having them read stuff. I know that. It’s a thought experiment. You’ll also note I’m not recommending you abduct someone and hide them in the woods while you brainwash them for a month.

What would you choose? Either leave it as a comment below or write it up on your blog. You know I’ll read it eventually, anyway.

30 Responses to The 4 Epochs of Independent Chaos Magic

1. June 9, 2010 at 1:36 am

How many books are we allowed to recommend? Because if there’s no limit, I’m going to abuse the hell out of this experiment.
      .-= Psyche´s last blog ..The Science Tarot =-.

2. June 9, 2010 at 8:08 am

4. Living Magical Arts RJ Stewart North West European Mystery Tradition
      5. The War of Art Steven Pressfield Psychology of creation
      6. Visual Magick Jan Fries Freestyle Shamanism
      7. Basic Psychic Hygiene Sophie Reicher Modern Magick
      8. The Faery Teachings Orion Foxwood, Trad Witchcraft/Conjurer
      9. Wyrdwalkers Raven Kalder Northan Tradition Shamanism
      10. Traditional Witchcraft A Cornish Book of Ways Gemma Gary Who needs books on Hoodo in the Uk

4. June 9, 2010 at 8:35 pm

My Life With The Spirits is on my list as well!

Shit, Steve… I could have really used you as backup at that lunch. :)

The biggest challenge in the game -as I see it- is making room in the subject’s head for the existence of magic. Hence starting with Lon’s book, Cosmic Trigger 1, etc.

From the looks of your first couple of titles I’d speculate that you agree with me.

5. Steve
      June 9, 2010 at 9:17 pm

there is a couple of others that i would throw in early on.
      Inventing Reality Tom Graves (he jumps of from S.S.O.T.B.M.E)
      The Spell of the Sensuous David Abram
      This is a great exercise in finding out what ones main influences are.

6. June 9, 2010 at 9:32 pm

Definitely. You’ve seen through my very obvious trick. :)

It’s limiting the titles that really helps.

What I discovered about myself is that I have a tendency to over emphasize “making room in the world for magic” and possibly under emphasize technique.

My proof-based bias shines through.

7. Jay
      June 9, 2010 at 9:54 pm

Witch as Liberated Human Being

For self-knowledge, ritual skills:

1)Evolutionary Witchcraft by Thorn Coyle

2) 12 Wild Swans, by Starhawk (really multiple Reclaiming Trad leaders)

NOTE: Neither one of these line up with your description of a Craft book above.

Philosphical aspects:

3) The Other Side of Virtue, by Brendon Meyers, PhD

4) The Spell of the Sensuous David Abram , Phd

For practical magic:

5)Cat Y’s Hoodoo books (they really are companions so I’m counting them here as 1. Ok, I’m cheating.)

For Divination:

7) 72 Degrees of Wisdom by Rachel Pollack

8) Book of Ordinary Oracles, by Lon Milo Duquette (really good book about divination in general and covers a huge amount of ways to do it)

Working with spirits:

9) Of Spirits by Ivo Dominguez

10) Communing with the Spirits by Martin Coleman
      .-= Jay´s last blog ..An Enuui Monday =-.

8. Steve
      June 9, 2010 at 10:05 pm

Actually i think making room in the world for magic”is my main work.The world is thirsting for magic I am reminded of the Don Rumsfold pearl “Its the unknown unknowns”

9. June 9, 2010 at 10:32 pm

@Jay Nice list. I’d go with Starhawk if I were aiming to build that kind of magician.

Plus it’s nice to see Communing With Spirits up there. Good book. Doesn’t seem to get talked about much… At least not anywhere near me.

You’ll also note I lay the blame for buying the same book over and over squarely at my feet. It’s certainly not an indictment of the entire genre. However, it’s an unavoidable observation that *some* publishers *cough* llewellyn *cough* have been bringing out the same book for thirty years.

10. Jow
      June 10, 2010 at 12:40 am

1. “American Gods” by Neil Gaiman
      2. “The Sorcerer’s Secrets” by Jason Miller
      3. “Hermetica” Copenhaver Ed.
      4. “Initiation Into Hermetics” by Franz Bardon
      5. “Aghora II: Kundalini”
      6. 7. 8. The Magical Philosophy Trilogy by Denning and Philips
      9. Shambhallah Complete Guide to Taoism
      10. Merging with Shiva: Hinduism’s Contemporary Metaphysics
      .-= Jow´s last blog ..On God =-.

11. June 10, 2010 at 12:55 am

Jow, you magnificent bastard!

I have to switch up my whole list because now I want to put American Gods on mine! It’s one of the most profound pieces of fiction I have ever read.

(Name drop: I met Neil Gaiman in Clerkenwell here in London the other year when he was touring the Graveyard Book. I gushed like the ridiculous fanboy I am.)

So we have between a 20% and 30% crossover because I’m trying to work out how to get something Hermetic onto my list. (Jason being the other one.)

12. June 10, 2010 at 1:41 am

For the well rounded magickian I present, in no particular order, the following:

Demian, by Herman Hesse
      Magick Without Tears, by Aleister Crowley
      Magick, by Aleister Crowley
      The Focus of Life, by Austin Osman Spare
      Maps of Meaning, by Jordan Paterson
      Visual Magick, by Jan Fries
      Consciousness Explained, by Daniel C Dennett
      Now That’s What I call Chaos Magick, by Greg Humphries and Julian Vayne
      Twenty Prose Poems, by Charles Baudelaire
      S.S.O.T.B.M.E.

I have a fairly extensive library, and I found that really, really difficult.

These ten would provide a decent thematic background for someone who was wholly unfamiliar with magickal thought and practice, with a few practical works to get them started.

Next thought experiment: Which books would you recommend to an experienced magickian that s/he may not have read?
      .-= Psyche´s last blog ..Dave Lee, Chaotopia! and chaos magick in general =-.

13. Jow
      June 10, 2010 at 2:06 am

@Gordon: I do believe I blushed when I read your comment. Cheeky monkey.

I know I am supposed to say what sort of Mage I am building, but I would prefer them to be a sort of spontaneous hyper functional mutant who knows enough technical know how and enough poetry to get the technique as well as the technology. Functional and Self Assured, everything else I’ve little interest in.

I honestly wish I knew more fiction that got the spirit of it right. Learning through narrative is my second favorite way to learn, the first, of course being a living teacher.

@Psyche: I totally wanted to put Magick Without Tears as well, it’s one of my favorites of Crowley. I only didn’t include it because The Magical Philosophy counts as 3 books ;)
      .-= Jow´s last blog ..On God =-.

14. June 10, 2010 at 2:22 am

Er, also, TAZ floats nebulously around the list, sometimes existing, at other times disbanding when not required.

15. Deb
      June 10, 2010 at 6:51 pm

I am building a Bad Ass Amazon (specializing in hearth witchery)

1. Someplace to be Flying (Charles Delint) (fiction) – a must have for the urban shaman

2. Evolutionary Witchcraft (Thorn Coyle) – her Iron Pentacle Meditation is unbelievably hard core. An amazon needs some reclaimst in her.

3. Eat, Love, Pray (Elizabeth Gilbert)(memoir) – for her inevitable identity meltdown. It made me want to run off to an ashram and started me on my daily japa practice.

4. Palimpsest (fiction) (Catherynne M. Valente) – a book about a sexually transmitted dream city you visit in your sleep. Need I really say more? Okay. It opened my heart up in ways I can’t even describe. I tell Cat she makes me cry more than anything else. It was a bit embarassing seeing her tour with SJ Tucker when they read a piece from the book about the opera and Sooj sang and I just cried and cried in a full room full of people. It made me see the world more magically again.

5. D’Aulaires’ Book of Greek Myths (Ingri d’Aulaire & Edgar Parin d’Aulaire) (children’s book) – This book made me a pagan, it planted the seed in the children’s room in the library. Other pagans have said the same thing. Concisely lays out the Olympians.

6. Hoodoo Root & Herb Magic (Cat Yronwode) – A must source book for all of one’s charms and hexes

7. Miss Abernathy’s Concise Slave Training Manual and Training With Miss Abernathy (Christina Abernathy) – Even if you’re not kinked, it’s a good primer on how to be service oriented. As someone who has kitchen witched for rituals, Thanksgivings, and funeral repasts great and small, it helps to get organized.

8. Real Simple magazine: A monthly magazine that teaches organization, budgeting, meal planning, etiquette, and other day to day life must haves. I cut out articles and recipes. You will need this for anything from knowing what to bring as a hostess gift to what to make for dinner on a Wednesday on a budget to how to start investing.

9. The Spirit Ways (Eric Taylor, Rachel Barth, Scott Cohen, and John Snead) (WW RPG) – How shamanism makes sense to me.

10. Spiral Dance (Starhawk) – You always remember your first. I *love* that she revises it every five years to be like, this was wrong, this was totally fucked up, I do this now, etc. It’s also a really good Dianic primer.
      .-= Deb´s last blog ..Your own . . .personal . . .cosmogram =-.

16. June 10, 2010 at 7:49 pm

Gosh, I didn’t know Starhawk did that. My own copy is about twelve years old.

I’m going to browse more intently the next time I’m in an occult bookstore.

17. Jay
      June 10, 2010 at 9:51 pm

@Gordon – I think your assessment is fair for most of the Craft books, but there are some good ones out there.

Re: Coleman – working with the dead isn’t super popular with magicians it seems, but the ancestors really are powerful allies. I was introduced to it through Cat Y’s class and work.

@Deb – I love that about Starhawk too. I have her 20th Anniversary Edition. From what I understand, she would have done a 30th, but her publisher wasn’t interested.
      .-= Jay´s last blog ..An Enuui Monday =-.

18. Pingback: The Book Game & Its Benefits |

19. faoladh
      June 11, 2010 at 6:07 am

Type: A modern, but traditionally informed, polytheist poet-magician with a Celtic bent

1. Celtic Heritage – Alwyn and Brinley Rees

2. Magic Power Language Symbol – Patrick Dunn

3. Quantum Sorcery – Dave Smith

4. Spellcraft – Robin Skelton

5. The Magic Arts in Celtic Britain – Lewis Spence

6. Invisibility: Mastering the Art of Vanishing – Steve Richards

7. Ogam: Weaving Word Wisdom – Erynn Rowan Laurie

8. Robert Kirk: Walker Between the Worlds – R.J. Stewart

9. The Book of Ogham – Michael Kelly

10. Cauldron of the Gods – Jan Fries

20. Pingback: What Wizards Taught Me: World Cup Edition |

21. June 16, 2010 at 1:38 pm

The book game was such a nice idea. I posted my own answer to my blog.
      Fractal Based Life Form´s last blog post ..The Book Game: Creating an Animist Magician

22. Lonnie
      June 18, 2010 at 7:00 am

Yeah, I came in late, but here’s the list I posted on mysticwicks (as kaosxmage):

1. Cosmic Trigger by Robert Anton Wilson: Just to rattle the brain around a bit with possibilities.

2. Liber Null and Psychonaut by Pete Carroll: This gives the reader a skill set to play with while downplaying dogma.

3. Initiation into Hermetics by Franz Bardon: This book puts the reader to work in great fashion.

4. Uncle Setnakt’s Essential Guide to the Left Hand Path – by Don Webb: Without a doubt one of my all time favorite books. It would be the first on the list, but I wouldn’t want to confuse a newbie with all the RHP vs LHP and Prince of Darkness talk.

5. Mage The Ascension (1st Edition): That’s a great fiction book with tons of inspiration and creative looks at Occult ideas.

6. My Life With the Spirits by Lon Milo DuQuette: It’s an everyman’s tale in the Occult realm. A must read.

7. Prometheus Rising by Robert Anton Wilson: Yeah, he makes the list twice. This book gives more “play with your brain” games than the reader will know what to do with.

8. The Game by Neil Strauss: Those social skills I was talking about. There you go.

9. Tricks of the Mind by Derren Brown: I’m a professional hypnotherapist. Somehow DB wrote one of the best no nonsense books that included hypnosis …and magic tricks …and ..well, it will instill a healthy dose of skepticism in our newbie. Skepticism is seriously lacking in the Occult world.

Now the most difficult choice. You think …have I done enough. Has it been confusing, or have I set them on a trip through a Universe full of wonder and possibility …

10. The Elegant Universe by Brain Greene: This should give that sense of wonder to a fresh mind.

23. Pingback: Anonymous

24. aralim Ansuz
      August 15, 2010 at 7:03 am

This is a difficult choice, do I make a chaos magician? A hermetic, a runic, a thelemic… endless possibilities.
      Might be fun just to give them nothing but H.P lovecraft anthologies, Kenneth Grant book and throw in simons “Necronomicon” maybe a little thomas karlsson and top it off with some geiger art books…..
      That could yeild an interesting result

25. Apel Mjausson
      October 14, 2010 at 12:45 am

Interesting challenge.

1. Robert Anton Wilson is a good starting point. It certainly shook out a lot of dross from my head. Cosmic Trigger 1 with a few caveats about sexism and hetero-normativity.

2 and 3. If the cottage at the lake was in Europe, I’d go with Marian Green’s A Witch Alone next. Followed by The Wind in the Willows or something more geographically appropriate, eg Nils Holgersson in Sweden or Brothers Grimm in Germany.

For Merkins, the latest edition of Starhawk’s Spiral Dance is probably better. Follow up with Fifth Sacred Thing. It’s much closer to the truth than I’m comfortable with.

4. Let’s get our hands dirty with Wylundt’s Book of Incense plus the ingredients needed to make several batches of incense.

5. A DVD with aerobics exercises by somebody who has good reviews on Amazon. Rosemary Conley in the UK, eg. If your body is your temple…

6. If they have ever said that they come from a screwed up family, the Big Book of my current magickal practice: http://www.adultchildren.org/wsobook/order.php (Not for the faint of heart.)

7. For a finale, I’d go with something from the Thai Forest tradition – Ajahn Sumedo or somebody downstream from him. These are available for free in the dining hall at Amaravati, near Hemel Hempstead north of London. Highly recommend visiting the monastery in person.

26. Alex Ku
      December 10, 2010 at 10:36 pm

Hi! Thank you all for the references.

As a newcomer to magick, with almost no practical experience, i’m in no position to participate in the game, but i feel like sharing the two books that most drawed me to this world, and that haven’t been mentioned yet:

“Journey to Ixtlan”, by Carlos Castaneda. And the rest of his books, really. Their main value, to me, is their ability they have to move me into (what i think is) the right attitude to live in magick. Also, i can feel a lot of power in them. Usually i have to concentrate and be alert in order to be able to feel energy, but anytime i open any of Castaneda’s books, i instantly receive an energy boost. I also loved the way they’re written.

“Promethea”, by Alan Moore. Really, any magician should give this a look… if not for another thing, because it’s an essay of magick in the form of a superheroin comicbook (or viceversa); how cool is that? It’s a good read, it’s fun and it covers a lot of topics about magick (the middle arch is a voyage through the Qabalistic Tree of Life, from Malkuth to Kether and back down again)

As i already said, i have very little experience yet, so i’m not sure how good all this fits into real magickal practice. Any thoughts on Castaneda or Moore about this?

27. anne
      November 2, 2011 at 4:52 am

Ah, thank you, this is the post I was looking for – most helpful. I’ll have to wade through the comments later. Postmodern Chaos magic here I come.

28. June 21, 2012 at 9:32 pm

It may just be me, but I think there are two books that would work well as ice-breakers, especially for sorcerer-scientist/chaos mage types.

1. “A Brief History of Time” , by Stephen Hawking

2. “The Grand Design” , Stephen Hawking and Leonard Mlodinow

[cheat]
      3. Compilation of papers published by the “Princeton Engineering Anomalies Research” group, or PEAR for short.

4. “Imajica”, by Clive Barker

5. “The Evolutionary Mind : Trialogues at the Edge of the Unthinkable”, by Ralph Abraham, Terence McKenna, Rupert Sheldrake

6. “Quantum Sorcery”, by Dave Smith

7. “American Gods” by Neil Gaiman

8. “Liber Null and Psychonaut”, by Peter J Carroll

9. “The Octavo: A Sorcerer-Scientist’s Grimoire”, by Peter J Carroll

10. “The Theatre of Magick”, by Ray Sherwin
      Jason´s last blog post ..The Best Good

29. JV
      October 27, 2012 at 8:06 pm

I can’t believe that David Conway has been shut out of these lists, i’d put A complete Magic Primer ahead of all of these – even PJC spends a lot of time telling you about rituals he’s not allowed to tell you about, it gets a bit dull and imperious

I found DuQuette’s Life with Spirits probably the most empty and disappointing book i’ve ever read.

If you read one book make it Conway’s – it’s outstanding – Kabbalistic at heart but a broad, no nonsense, liberal and incredibly articulate overview and practical guide. It has the sage advice that i’ve never seen anywhere else warning that when you first begin practical magic you also experience a period of bad karma, certainly cuts the chaff from the wheat.

The Book of Lies is good – but it’s also the equivalent of The magical Daily Mail, reports opinion as fact and has some very worrying content, in amongst pure genius, the issue i guess with having a series of essays by different authors. But incredibly stimulating

The English Book of Magic is very good if you can forgive the “things to do” section at the back, which was worryingly like a “geography can be fun” primary school text book. But wonderfully comprehensive

The Queen’s Conjuror – great biography of John Dee

Dion Fortune’s The Secrets of Doctor Taverner is a very light and easy read – a nice first step and make you all the more curious about Dr Moriaty on whom Taverner is based who must have had extraordinary skill is a fraction of it is true

Lord of the Underworld by Colin Wilson is a very occult biography of C J Jung who is clearly one of the least recognised magic workers of modern times, information here that has been actively supressed by the Psychotherapeutic establishment

And Maxine Sanders biography just pitches her as the real deal – amazingly concise and clear headed woman who didn’t get drunk on all the trappings and paraphenalia of Wicca – she understands magic in clear, genuine terms, even conceding how powerful the lords prayer is (aside from the cloaked kabalistic cross reference) – i would say she’s a softer more feminine version of PJC without the gruff bleakness. Chaos magicians can be warm hearted too

Sorry, hope i’m not on the wrong blog? Is there an issue with David Conway i haven’t picked up on?

And PJC of course for focusing the mind and cutting out the fluff

30. JH Leeuwenhart
      October 26, 2013 at 10:29 am

I wish to learn someone to become a black alchemist or a chaos magician.

First I want to give him keys to liberate him from his christian roots or indoctrination on a mundane level.

This I can do with:

Friedrich Nietzsche – Die frohliche wissenschaft.

Friedrich Nietzsche – The Antichrist

I will lead this person to the abyss within.

He or she will experience a strong feeling to wish to be deliberated from bad influences. This is the first step to become him self. To destroy or to purify his filthy soul. This is a process with is a intens transformation from a changed being to an complete free person.

Then I will give my pupil the following task.

To learn to understand Nietzsches most important work called:

Thus spoke Zarathoestra.

This is a book which could enlighten my pupil in an unknown way.

My pupil has to read this book as long as he understands one sentence of this work of non understanding.

There is no time limit to understand this work of art and magic. A pupil could read one year or ten years before he could know a thing from it.

This work could have a powerfull influence inside of it.

The next book I will give to the pupil is:

The Nag Hammadi codexes.

This book will give the pupil understanding and feeling with the to become a God or a Goddess.

This book will sow the seeds in the pupil to become like the Gods and it will influence his wishes and his longings on a very deep level.

Then I will let the pupil know about divinity and the divine aspects of a human being.

Nectar of devotion from Sri Srimad A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada

Also I will teach my pupil to be in touch with the divity within and without.

The following works of Aleister Crowley are to be reading:

The vision and the voice.

The book of the law – liber al vel legis.

The the first steps in magic are taken and the student will read:

Eliphas levi with: Transcendental magic, its Doctrine and ritual.

To grasp the creation of himself and the world the student has to read:

Ramtha – A beginners guide to create reality

This will give much knowledge how to handle the quantum reality and to create what he wants.

In the end of the training of the pupil he have to read:

The Voudon Gnostic Workbook – Michael Bertiaux

This book will give him much inner knowledge about the unlimited possibillities what you can do with magic.

In this way the pupil will follow his unknown ways and learns to become a God or a Goddess.